Colorpeek for Chrome (and on CSS-Tricks)

Hey, remember Colorpeek, my web app for quickly sharing and previewing colors? Well, good news: I just released an accompanying Chrome extension that makes the creation of palettes from text, webpages or images even easier!

I’m honored to announce the extension in an article I wrote for CSS-Tricks, one of my favorite blogs and an indispensable resource for any self-respecting web designer. Stay tuned for Part Two, which will walk through the process of making your own simple Chrome extension. (Update: Part Two is now available!)

And if you use Chrome and dig Colorpeek, try the darn extension already!

Responses

Carlos Ballena says

Hey, great work! I was wondering where was the best place to report any bugs or request features — if that’s allowed :)

Tyler Sticka says

Thanks, Carlos! You can contact me with your bugs or suggestions (email or Twitter are fine).

David Millar says

Great webapp and extension! If I could offer one nitpick, it would be cool if colors with an alpha value could be displayed in 8-digit hex instead of (or along with) 6-digit hex. Inkscape allows pasting in 8-digit hex colors and I can see myself using this in my workflow with it.

Tyler Sticka says

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion! I think allowing 8-digit hex colors could work, I’ll add it to my to-do list.

Kilwag says

Great web app. Super simple. Love it. A few suggestions: * A text input filed to parse pasted text for those of us not using chrome. If that clutters your UI too much, maybe a secondary page with that option. * In options, ability to display hex, rgb or hsl simultaneously. * Add colors from image to existing palette instead of replacing it.

So yeah, even though I said I love it, I managed to come up with some ideas for what I thought were improvements. More importantly though, great work on this. I imagine I’ll getting lots of use from this.

Tyler Sticka says

Thank you for your suggestions!

FYI, if you have an existing palette and you drag an image into it, it will append the colors to the palette. If it’s replacing your palette, let me know, because that’s a bug!

Matt Wilding says

Thanks for a truly handy extension – especially for when I’ve been handed a jpeg of a mockup…

Martin says

Thanks for a great, great extension. Absolutely love it!

I was wondering if there is a way to import a generated palette as a group of swatches into Photoshop or Illustrator? I can see how to export as plain text LESS, etc.. but cannot find an easy way to import that list of values into PS or IL as Swatches.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Tyler Sticka says

One of my to-do list items is to support exporting palettes in Adobe-compatible file formats such as ACO, ASE or potentially many others. In the meantime, you might want to check out COLOURlovers, which supports this functionality already.

Martin says

Thanks for your feedback. I found a workaraound yesterday. I copyied the css styles from the share-link and then saved them in a .css file. In photoshop (cc) you can then generate color-swatches by loading in the .css file via “Load swatches…”. Now you can use them in PS. If you need them in Illustrator you could save them as an .ASE from photoshop.

Kang Rian says

So far, this plugin awesome for web design support! . thanks before for developer ..

i love your work, hobby, and your style ! ^_^

Tyler Sticka says

Thanks for the kind words, Rian!

Eric Holler says

Nice work. I am going to try and get this worked into the design handoff to dev workflow. One thing that would improve this for us would be the ability to add a vanity name to a swatch. A designer may hand over color palette with subtle differences and it would be nice to have the option to label them. Might be too specific of a use case though, keep up the great work.

Tyler Sticka says

Thanks, Eric! Labeling is by far the most frequent request. It’s currently my top priority for the next update.

Serge says

Hey Tyler, just wanted to say that I’ve been using this plugin every few weeks (more like every few days), and just wanted to thank you for presenting it at Demolicious last year :) It’s helped me find a few color pallets that I wouldn’t have thought of otherwise.

Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work :)

Leave a response

Your email address won’t be published. You can use some HTML or Markdown.